Head Start Director
West Central MN Communities Action has a full-time Head Start Director position available in Elbow Lake, MN. This position is responsible for the oversight of the day-to-day operations of the Head Start and Early Head Start Programs including writing and submitting Head Start grants, managing the Head Start budget and supervision of assigned staff; in compliance with program and agency policies and procedures, Head Start Performance Standards, MN Rule 3, State of Minnesota CACFP regulations and requirements. The Head Start Director is also responsible for shared governance, which includes all activities of the Head Start Policy Council and presentations and trainings to the governing Board of Directors.
Starting salary is $69,950-$90,938 per year, depending upon qualifications and includes a comprehensive benefits package: health, dental, vision and life insurance; 403B with match, Employee Assistance Program, FSA/DCA, paid time off (PTO) and paid holidays.
- Responsible for the management and overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of the WCMCA Head Start Program. Responsible for oversight, hiring, termination and training of all Head Start Staff. Responsible for shared governance, which includes all activities of the Head Start Policy Council and presentations and trainings to the governing Board of Directors. Trainings to include:
- Agency policies
- Financial expenditures
- In-kind training
- Self-Assessment and planning
- Monitoring of Head Start systems
- Adhere to Agency policies and procedures.
- Acts as a role model within and outside the Agency.
- Provide friendly, responsive service to the public, community organizations and to those we serve.
- With a respectful and positive attitude, work with low-income individuals and families with diverse backgrounds.
- Support, develop and maintain productive relationships required to carry out job activities.
- Demonstrate flexible and efficient time management.
- Maintain the security and confidentiality of all records and interpersonal interactions.
- Serve as an advocate.
- Work effectively and cooperatively with community partners and co-workers.
- Participate in Agency-wide and program events.
- BA Degree in Education, Business or related field and/or five years’ experience in program management and administration, or demonstrated ability to perform job duties.
- Meet minimum standards per Head Start Performance Standards and Minnesota Rule 3 Licensing.
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Office applications
- Excellent communication skills; verbal and written
- Proof of valid driver’s license and current/adequate vehicle insurance coverage
- Master’s Degree in Early Childhood Education
- Experience in Early Childhood programs preferred
- Professional experience working for or collaborating with a CAP agency
- Demonstrated understanding of diverse backgrounds and cultures
REPORTING TO THIS POSITION ARE:
Head Start System Specialists; Head Start Supervisors; Head Start Supervisor – Health.
- Plan, prepare and submit all grants for Head Start funding.
- Assess and direct annual training goals and establish a budget, including training of Policy Council and the Board of Directors.
- Maintain programming that adheres consistently to federal HS Performance standards and Minnesota Rule 3 Licensing and other regulations.
- Build an understanding of the program by communicating its philosophy, mission and services to staff, families and the community.
- Represent Head Start in all activities.
- Conduct Program self-assessment annually and a Community Assessment as required.
- Monitor and analyze systems that support program operations and delivery and modify as needed.
- Establish child and family outcomes are established and goals are set.
- Determine staffing patterns and assign or delegate specific work or functional activities maintaining effective work flow
- Review and analyze reports and directives to obtain data required for program planning and managing departmental activities
- Review and evaluate current plans, procedures and practices to ensure effective program delivery and modify as needed
- Establish and maintain relationships and collaborations with public school districts, county social services, public health agencies and other relevant community organizations.
- Prepare and/or review all program contracts.
- Manage the financial responsibilities of the program to ensure accountability to funding sources.
- Develop annual budget
- Review and approve all HS expenditures
- Monitor fiscal reports
- Monitor In-Kind tracking and documentation
- Keep immediate supervisor informed of all problems, unusual or extraordinary matters of significance coming to his/her attention, so that prompt corrective action can be taken as needed.
- All other duties as assigned by supervisor, including participation in Agency and program committees.
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITY SPECIFICATIONS
Physical demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; each with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: Work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
Build Your Online Job Profile
Potential employees MUST complete the online application process in order to be considered for a position.