About the Head Start Program
Two types of programming:
- Early Head Start: Home-based program that serves pregnant women and children birth to 3 years old
- Head Start: Preschool program for children 3-5 years of age; find a location
Head Start promotes the school readiness of young children from low-income families through agencies in their local community. Head Start and Early Head Start programs support the comprehensive development of children from birth to age 5 in centers and in their own homes. Head Start services include early learning, health and family well-being.
Head Start Preschool days and times vary depending on the location. Please contact us for more information and current school program times.
Families are automatically eligible for the program if they meet at least one of the following:
- Receiving Public Assistance (MFIP, SNAP, SSI, etc.)
- Foster Care family
- Experiencing Homelessness (lacking fixed, regular, and adequate housing)
- Living at or below the current Federal Poverty Guidelines
WCMCA Head Start and Early Head Start serves families with children in a 7-county area, which includes Douglas, Grant, Otter Tail, Pope, Stevens, Traverse and Wadena Counties. Age and income guidelines are set by the federal government. Ten percent of Head Start’s enrollment is reserved for special needs children who may be over the income guidelines. All Head Start services are provided at no cost to the family.
Please review your Privacy Rights
Click below to view our most current:
- Community Resource Guide
- Parent Policy Handbook
- Parent Policy Handbook Spanish
- Annual Report
- Financial Report
- Statewide Funding Allocation Chart
- School Readiness Goals
- School Readiness Outcomes for Past Three Years
- School Readiness Fall to Spring Comparison
- Annual Notice Regarding PII and Parent Rights
Head Start Program Information (PIR) Reports:
WCMCA Head Start
Attn: Dianne B.
411 Industrial Park Blvd.
Elbow Lake, MN 56531
2022 Program Statistics
0Home-Based Early Head Start
Pregnant women and children (prenatal to 3-years)
0Center-Based Head Start Preschool
Children ages 3-5 years